Thursday, January 24, 2008

I had to do my prenatal bloodwork on Monday

and it was quite an adventure. It is typically difficult to draw blood from my veins. They are small, deep, and they roll. I try and warn people ahead of time, and I also try and drink plenty of water beforehand so that they are "as good as they get." I went to the hospital lab to do the bloodwork because they usually have the best luck. The technician looked on my right arm, thought she saw one, and tried it. No go. She asked if they ever used my hands, and I said yes, they usually have fairly good luck with finding one in my hand. She found one in my right hand, tried it, and it started, but it was going very, very slowly, and they had 6 tubes to get. Finally after only slightly filling three tubes, the vein blew. So then another technician came in and tried. She looked at my left arm, and then my right arm again. She tried the right arm, and finally got a vein that worked well.

The dr's office called the next day and said that all my lab results were normal. I'd hate to have to go through that again, so I'm glad it was all o.k.

I've had a couple moments when I thought about telling a couple of my friends, but then I always decide against it. And I'm torn about telling too. Sometimes, I feel like telling people the "secret" now, or maybe after we get the results back from the amnio, but then I also think "Wow, it would be nice to be able to just go to the hospital and have the baby and THEN tell everyone."

Three weeks and a day until my next appointment.

-Andie (7W6D)

No comments: