Saturday, March 28, 2009

Happy Birthday Christopher









Christopher is buried in the same cemetery that Dorothy Louise Gage was buried. Dorothy Gage was the niece of L. Frank Baum, the author of The Wizard of Oz. Dorothy was five months old at the time. The Baums were deeply affected by her death. L. Frank Baum was in the process of writing The Wizard of Oz at the time of her death, and he changed the name of the heroine in the book to Dorothy. In 1998, the cemetery dedicated an area of the cemetery for infants and called it the Dorothy Gage Memorial Garden.

When I found out about the history of the garden, it suddenly put a whole new meaning to the song "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." So everytime I hear the song, I think of Christopher. I hope that I'll be able to see you someday over the rainbow, my dear son.

Happy Birthday.

4 comments:

corn fed girl said...

Awww, Happy Birthday little buddy. We all wished you could have stayed longer. The pictures of the kids are sweet.

Kristen said...

VERY touching....thank you so much for sharing.

Mary said...

Andrea -- I was thinking about you that day! I have always felt sad that we share that day, you know? Anyway, I love you and cry with you.

Anonymous said...

(((HUGS))) I wished he could have stayed alittle longer too! You WILL see him OVER THE RAINBOW one day! That is a wonderful history and coincidence (although I don't think it was coincidence!) He has touched all of us! Happy Birthday lil buddy!

Love,
Your sis!